Are you looking for a Halloween math activity that is engaging and relevant… but still EASY to prep? This Halloween Math Mystery is sure to be a hit with your first, second and third grade students!
Can your students solve the Case of Frankenstein’s Missing Candy?
First, you will read students the fun rhyming story or show them the animated video to grab their attention. (Check out the video in the preview!)
Next, students will solve a series of 3 math challenges to earn clues.
Then, they will decode each clue, rearrange them to figure out where Frankenstein’s candy bucket is hidden, and escape the haunted house!
Included in this Halloween Math activity:
✅ Step-by-step instructions to make this activity easy to prep and implement
✅ First Grade Math Challenges that cover the following skills:
- Addition of 1-digit plus a multiple of ten
- Addition of a 2-digit plus a one-digit
- Base ten blocks and ten frames
✅ Second Grade Math Challenges that cover the following skills:
- Expanded form to standard form
- 3-addend addition
- 2-digit addition and subtraction
✅ Third Grade Math Challenges that cover the following skills:
- Rounding to the nearest 10
- Addition and subtraction within 1000
✅ PowerPoint Presentation for each grade level with examples of each challenge. Model the activity and expectations before you send them off to work.
✅ Paper copy of the story that introduces the challenge
✅ Link to the animated video that introduces the challenge
✅ Early finisher Halloween Word Search – 2 versions to differentiate
*You will choose which grade level challenges to use with your students!*
Other things to know about this Halloween math mystery activity…
- Think of this Halloween math activity like an easier-to-prep escape room!
- Students can work individually, in pairs or in groups.
- All answer keys are provided.
- This Halloween math activity is designed to be completed in one class period but depending on levels, could take a little shorter or longer!
Take a look at the preview for a detailed view of the challenges, the animated video, and the clues!
Copyright © Cupcakes & Curriculum
Permission to copy for single classroom use only.
Please purchase additional licenses if you intend to share this product.